How do I create a scrap metal account?

To find out how to open a scrap metal account with us, please click here.

I don't have my logbook, is that a problem?

Your log book is NOT essential. We can complete a 'no-logbook' Authorisation form for your scrap vehicle. This document gives us permission to scrap your vehicle without a log book. This process will involve a little more paper work, but is fairly straight forward. We will need some details from you; your full name, current address, contact number, vehicle registration and vehicle indeification number. You will then need to print, sign, date and time the form. You will then need to write a letter to the DVLA detailing that you have sold your vehicle to us. We will also scrap the car on our end as normal.

What do I do with my log book?

When Ace Car Breakers process a scrap vehicle we require your log book, however this is not essential. If you have your log book, give it to our recovery driver on collection or bring it with you when you visit us. This will make the process much easier and save time when we do the paperwork. Our driver or weighbridge operator will complete section 9 for you.

Do I need to contact the DVLA?

You will need to let the DVLA know that you have sold your scrap vehicle to us. You can do this a number of ways; sending off section 9 of your log book, writing a letter directly to the DVLA or contacting the DVLA direct. If you provide us with your log book, our recovery driver can fill this out appropriately and give you section 9 to send off. Quick and easy! We will scrap your car with the DVLA on our side, once it has been crushed. We will also issue you with a COD as proof or destruction. IF YOU DO NOT DECLEAR THAT YOU HAVE SOLD YOUR CAR, YOU MAY STILL RECEIVE REMINDERS FROM THE DVLA.

How do you handle payment for my vehicle?

We offer 2 payment methods when scraping your vehicle; Cheque or Bank transfer. Bank Transfer Your car must be collected and returned to the yard before we can make payment. Once we have received your vehicle the payment will go in same day between 3pm-5pm. If your car is collected on a Saturday the payment will not be made until 3pm-5pm Monday. When our recovery driver comes to collect your car he will provide you with a detailed receipt. When booking in the collection of your vehicle we will require your Full name, Account number and Sort Code. . Our customer service representative will go through a form with you and confirm that all the details are correct.   Cheque If you choose the cheque payment method we will require your full name. (The name on your banking account). Our customer service representative will go through a form with you and confirm that all the details are correct. We will issue our recovery driver with your cheque and he will present this to you upon the collection of your scrap vehicle.   We follow GDRP guidelines, for more information on how we handle your details click here.

How do you generate my scrap vehicle quote?

We generate quotes via an online database. The database is made specifically to value scrap vehicles. This database takes into account the size and weight of your vehicle to calculate the scrap metal value. All quotes are guaranteed for 48hours once generated. When requesting a quote we give 2 prices. One price relating to if we come out and collect your car, the other relating to you bringing the car to us. The 2 quote prices will differ. All scrap car quotes are final, we do not haggle. However if you think your scrap vehicle is worth more please contact us direct 01322 363 383

When can you collect my car?

We aim to collect your scrap vehicle within a week, once you approve your quote. As long as there are no issues with the paperwork we can collect your scrap car as soon as the next day! Our booking system is based on 2 hour interval time slots. Meaning we allow our drivers 2 hours to come out collect your vehicle and get back to the yard. Often our drivers will collect 2 scrap vehicles in the same postcode during the time slot. An example of the collection times would be: 8am-10am, 10am-12pm, 12pm-2pm, 2pm-4pm. On Saturdays we operate recovery collections between 9am-12pm.

What areas will we collect scrap cars from?

We are based in snawscombe, Kent. Our recovery vehicles travel all over Kent and South-East London to collect your scrap cars. Please bare in mind, your quote will be reduced the further away you are. If in doubt, please don't hesitate  to contact us on 01322 363 383

What details do I need to provide?

We will require some details in order to book in your car collection or set you up an account. This includes a copy of your photographic ID. Your driving license will be perfect for this. If you do not have a driving license you will need to provide us with a copy of your passport and a letter dated within the last 3 months. The letter must contain your full name and address. We will need your bank details if you want to be paid by bank transfer. We will only require your Account number and sort code. We will NEVER ask for you security details. We will also require your contact and current address details. If you are scrapping your car and have a log book we will require this as well, however the logbook is not essential. Ace Car Breakers practice within GDRP guidelines. To read mow about our privacy policy click here.

What authority and license do we hold?

We are a registered ATF and EVL facility, recognised by the DVLA. We scrap your cars on the DVLA website, complying to the Environment Agency standards. Ace Car Breakers hold a Waste Transfer license. For more information on this please click here

Who will be collecting my Scrap Vehicle?

Our team of fully qualified recovery drivers are on call to pick up your vehicle. All of our drivers can be identified by there 'Ace Car Breakers' uniform and sign written recovery vehicle. They will also be able to provide you with documentation in relation to Ace Car Breakers upon request.

Can you remove more than one vehicle at a time?

With our fleet of specialised vehicles, Ace Car Breakers can remove multiple cars at the same or different locations. Give us a call with your requirements and we can make arrangements for you.

Why can’t I get paid in cash?

Unfortunately due to the SMDA 2013 (scrap metal dealers act 2013) we cannot pay cash for any vehicles or metals that are scraped with us. Instead we make payments by cheque or bank transfer. This covers the buyer and seller from breaking this law. For more information on how to scrap your vehicle please click here. For more information on how to scrap your metal please click here.

Are there any vehicles Ace Car Breakers won't scrap?

Every vehicle has a value in scrap metal at Ace Car Breakers. As long as a quote is approved and we have the facility to collect then there's no problem. Ace Car Breakers cannot collect caravans or camper vans as they contain a high quantity of materials other then metal. (Wood/ Plastics)

Do you buy commercial and agricultural vehicles?

We do buy commercial and agricultural vehicles, usually up to 12000kg. We have purchased larger commercial vehicles but this will depend on your location and if we have suitable recovery vehicles available.

Why are prices different for different cars?

The prices for scrap cars vary as they are based on their weight - the heavier the vehicle, the more scrap value it will have. Location of the vehicle can also play a part in the price as logistics have to be taken into consideration. 

What is a waste carriers licence?

A waste carriers licence is a permit from the Environmental Agency. Anyone who carries waste for business purposes has to have a waste carriers licence by law.

The licence only means the holder is allowed to carry waste, not deal with it unlike us who can do both. 

What is a Certificate of Destruction?

C.O.D (certificate of destruction) is a certificate that can only be provided by a company that is registered as an ATF (authorised treatment facility), if you request a COD you will receive one. You can also be confident that your car will be recycled correctly and legally. 

I don’t have a V5c (logbook)?

We can still collect without the V5C. All it means is that the person present at the time of collection will have to provide Photo I.D and the registered keeper will need to inform DVLA in writing. The DVLA need to know that the car has been sold to Ace Breakers for scrap. If required, we can provide a CoD by using the chassis number of the vehicle.

Why do I need ID when you collect my vehicle?

Due to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, we now need to obtain a copy of your Photo I.D. We understand that this may be inconvenient and it was never required before, but that is now the law. We don’t create the rules; we just have to make sure we adhere to them.

How do I verify the identity of the collection driver?

All our drivers will come to collect your vehicle in a vehicle with full Ace Car Breakers signwriting. If you would like to verify that they are legitimate please ring us in their presence and we can confirm their identity.

What do I need to provide when my vehicle is collected?

The person present at the time of collection will need to provide us with their own Photo I.D, the keys and, if possible, the V5C (log book).

What do I do with my V5c (logbook)?

On collection, we will complete Section 9 of the V5C and you need to send this to DVLA. If you have requested a Certificate of Destruction (CoD), it should arrive within 48 working hours. If you don’t have the V5C then you will need to notify DVLA in writing that you have scrapped/sold the car to us.

Can I get a refund for my tax?

As the registered owner of the vehicle we would encourage you to claim your tax back from the DVLA.

Will I get more money if I deliver the car?

When we price a vehicle we take into account the time and distance involved to travel to it’s location. Bringing the car to us will mean there is no recovery cost so we can pass that saving onto you in our pricing.

Can you collect my car when I am at work?

As long as someone's there then we can collect. It doesn’t have to be the registered keeper or the legal owner, but the person present at the time of the collection will need their personal photo I.D to accept the payment and to sign giving us permission to remove the car.

Do you collect vehicles with no wheels?

With our fleet of specialised recovery vehicles we can collect most vehicles from most locations. Please advise us of this when you ring and arrange your collection, wheels missing from the vehicle will affect the value.

How soon can you collect my car?

Depending on your location, we can often collect on the same day or next day. But on average, we collect within 48 hours at a time that is convenient to you.

I have taken parts of my car?

You need to make us aware of the parts you have removed before you accept your quote. We can price/bid accordingly. The offers you receive for your car may vary depending on what parts you have removed.

Where can my car be collected?

We can collect your car from most locations including garages, storage compounds, or your work place. We offer a flexible collection service which we can discuss at the time of your call.

How do I receive payment for my vehicle?

Due to the new law 'Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013' our ATF Members can no longer pay CASH. The most common payment methods are company cheque payment on Collection or Bank Transfer. Bank Transfers are usually cleared within 24 hours from the time of collection. Cheque Payments are issued on collection but can take a few days to clear with your bank.

Are your online quotes guaranteed?

Quotations are guaranteed. We offer an instant scrap value based on the weight of your vehicle (which we work out from your Registration Number). As long as you have described your vehicle accurately, the quote is guaranteed.

What is an ELV?

ELV stands for ‘End of Life Vehicle’. This is a vehicle that has reached the end of its life naturally through wear and tear. A vehicle that has been damaged and is beyond reasonable economical repair can also be termed as an ELV.

Do I have to inform the DVLA?

Our recovery driver will complete and leave Section 9 of the V5C (log book) with you which you will need to sign and send off to the DVLA. You will receive a conformation letter from DVLA to confirm they have updated their details and you are no longer responsible for the vehicle within 4 weeks. We will also inform the DVLA of the scrapping and recycling of your vehicle electronically through or direct link computer system.